Eaten as main or as an accompaniment, salads are one of the most popular choices for today’s waist and weight conscious diners. While the choices on most menus tend to be quite typical, there are many ways you can toss in some excitement to the salads you serve.
Give new ingredients a go
You can start by introducing heartier ingredients. Like adding couscous to make a light salad more robust. Or try roasted veggies, toasted seeds and nuts, they are perfect for adding seasonal flavour and crunch. You could also use pasta instead of rice to add variety in texture.
Let’s get started with two simple recipes that can be easily incorporated into your menu.
Tabouli Salad with Falafel, Hummus and Crunchy Pita
Ingredients (10 servings)
- 500 g Couscous
- 100 ml Olive oil
- 1 x Butterhead lettuce
- 10 x Radish
- 5 x Mini-cucumbers
- 30 x Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 x 1/2 Pomegranate
- 300 g Hummus
- 5 g Paprika
- 10 x Pitas
- 20 x Falafel balls
- 10 g Mint Leaves
- 10 g Coriander
- HELLMANN'S Italian Balsamic Dressing 2.55 L
- Cook couscous according to packet instructions.
- Add the olive oil and stir well.
- Clean the lettuce and thinly slice the radishes.
- Slice the mini-cucumbers and the onion.
- Half the cherry tomatoes and clean the pomegranate.
- Put the lettuce leaves on the plates and fill with couscous. Divide the falafel over the plates.
- Put the hummus in a piping bag and make little dabs next to the couscous.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Divide the tomatoes, cucumber, radishes and red onion over the salad.
- Garnish with mint and coriander leaves and pomegranate and sprinkle with the vinaigrette.
- Toast the pitas and serve the salad with the warm bread.
Asian Chicken Salad with Sweet Chili Lime Dressing
Ingredients (10 servings)
- 250 g HELLMANN'S Deli Mayonnaise 2.6kg
- 5 g KNORR Lime Powder 500 g
- 60 ml KNORR Thai Sweet Chilli Sauce 2.2 kg
- 50 ml Water
- 500 g Mixed salad leaves, washed
- 50 g Mint, washed, picked
- 100 g Coriander, washed, chopped
- 30 g Long red chilli, sliced
- 150 g Carrot, shredded
- 150 g Green onions (shallots), sliced
- 150 g Red onion, sliced
- 300 g Cucumber, sliced
- 150 g Bean sprouts, trimmed
- 1 kg Chinese Soy Chicken, shredded (Asian chicken from market)
- 200 g Cashews, roasted
- Combine the HELLMANN’S Deli Mayonnaise, KNORR Lime Powder, KNORR Thai Sweet Chilli Sauce and water together and set aside for use in a squeeze bottle.
- Combine all the salad ingredients together.
- Toss the salad ingredients and the chicken together in a bowl. Top with dressing and cashews and serve.
- Do not add your dressing until you are ready to serve. Your salad will have better crunch.